Do white shoes go with everything? This is a question that has been debated by fashion experts and enthusiasts for years because, well, it’s a tough question to answer. While some people believe that white shoes can be worn with any outfit, others think that they should only be reserved for specific occasions.
White shoes are a bit of a tricky accessory to style, on one hand, they are the epitome of sophistication and can add a touch of class to any outfit. On the other hand, they can be quite difficult to keep clean and can easily become scuffed and stained.
With that being said, although white shoes can be versatile, they may not always be the best option for your outfit; it depends on the look you’re going for and the specific pair of white shoes in question.
6 Factors To Consider When Deciding Whether To Wear White Shoes
When deciding whether to wear white shoes or not, these are the 6 factors you should take into consideration:
- The Occasion: the first factor you need to take into account is the occasion or event that you’re dressing for. If you’re getting ready for a formal occasion, such as a wedding or a job interview, then opting for a pair of white shoes is the way to go. On the other hand, if you’re just going for a casual day out with friends, you might want to consider another shoe option.
- Your Outfit: another important factor to consider is your outfit. If you’re wearing a darker-colored outfit, such as black or navy, then white shoes can be a great way to add a touch of contrast to complete the look. However, if you’re wearing a white dress, skirt, or an all-white monochromatic look, then it might be best to avoid white shoes so as not to look too “matchy-matchy”; unless it's the type of look you're going for. In this case, it’s best to consult a color wheel and see what colors match or go well with white.
- The Type of White Shoe: there are different types of white shoes, that are better suited for certain occasions than others and go with different types of outfits. For example, if you’re wearing a pair of flat sandals or white sneakers, then they’re probably going to be the best option for a casual day out. On the other hand, if you’re planning on wearing a dressier shoe such as a pair of white heels or dress shoes, then they might be better suited for a more formal event. If you’re looking for a pair of white shoes to add to your wardrobe, here are 10 tips to help you pick the perfect pair of white shoes for your outfit and our selection of the best white shoes for women.
- The Weather: another factor to consider when deciding whether or not to wear white shoes is the weather. If it’s a sunny day, then white shoes can help reflect the light and keep your feet cool. However, if it’s raining or snowing, it might be best to just leave the white shoes at home as they will likely get wet and dirty.
- Your Location: another thing to consider is your location. If you’re in a dirty or dusty place, such as a construction site or a farm, then it’s probably not the best idea to wear white shoes as they will likely get scuffed, stained and dirty. On the other hand, if you’re somewhere clean, like an office or a church, then white shoes can be a great option.
- Your Personal Style: although all of the above factors are important to consider, the most important factor of all is your personal style when deciding whether or not to wear white shoes. If you tend to dress more formally, then white shoes would probably work well for you. However, if you have a more casual style, then you might want to opt for another shoe option.
7 Ways To Style White Shoes
Once you’ve considered all of the factors above, it’s time to start thinking about how to style your white shoes.
White shoes can be worn with any outfit, but if you want to pull off the look, here are 7 tips for styling white shoes:
1. Pair them with denim.
One of the most popular and timeless ways to style white shoes is with a pair of denim jeans. Pairing white shoes with denim is a classic look that can be worn for any occasion, from a casual lunch to a more formal event.
For a more casual look, pair your white shoes with a pair of ripped jeans and a t-shirt.
But, for a more formal look, opt for a pair of straight-leg or wide-leg jeans and a button-down shirt that's tucked in with sleeves either rolled down or up (with undone hems).
2. Style them with wide-leg pants.
Wide-leg pants are having a moment right now, and they look especially great when paired with white shoes.
To style wide-leg pants with white shoes, look for a pair of pants that are slightly cropped so that your shoes are visible.
For a casual look, pair your wide-leg pants with a pair of sneakers or sandals.
For a dressier look, pair your pants with a pair of heeled sandals or mules.
3. Create a monochromatic look.
If you want to try something a little different, consider creating a monochromatic look with white shoes.
Monochromatic looks can be worn for both casual and formal occasions; it just depends on the pieces you choose and how you style them.
For a casual monochromatic look, pair your white shoes with a white t-shirt and white jeans or shorts or you could pair them with a cream-colored sweater and pants.
But for a dressier monochromatic look, if you want to make a statement, contrast your white shoes with with an all-black outfit; such as a black blouse and a pair of black pants or a skirt or black dress or jumpsuit. Complete the ensemble with some jewelry and you’re good to go!
4. Wear them with a sundress.
Sundresses are the perfect summertime outfit because they are both stylish and comfortable, and they can be easily dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
To achieve this look, pair your white shoes with your favorite sundress, and add a mini bag and some sunglasses for a complete look.
If you’re looking to dress up the look, opt for a more formal sundress and add some delicate jewelry.
5. Or with a slipdress.
For a sexy, glam, and more evening-appropriate look that's perfect for date night or a night out with the girls, pair your white shoes with a slip dress; accessorize with some dainty jewelry and a clutch purse.
6. Combine them with a skirt.
White shoes can also be worn with a skirt, whether it’s a mini skirt, midi skirt, or maxi skirt.
For a casual look, pair your white shoes with a denim mini skirt or a mini skirt.
But if you're looking for a more formal look, pair your white shoes with a pencil skirt and a button-down shirt.
If what you're looking for is a sophisticated look, pair your white shoes with a leather mini skirt or satin slip skirt.
LEATHER MINI SKIRT LOOK
SATIN SLIP SKIRT LOOK
7. Or style them with shorts.
Shorts are very comfortable pieces of clothing that look great when paired with white shoes.
If you want to show off your legs, go for a pair of shorts that are very much so above the knee. And if you want to cover up your legs, opt for a pair of Bermuda shorts or longer shorts that hit at or below the knee.
For a daytime look that's perfect for running errands or grabbing coffee with friends, pair your white shoes with a pair of denim shorts.
For a nighttime look that's perfect for dinner or drinks with friends, pair your white shoes with a pair of leather shorts or colored shorts and a blouse or button-down shirt; add some statement earrings and you’re good to go.
As you can see, there are many different ways to style white shoes; the key is to find a look that suits your personal style and the occasion you’ll be wearing them for. With these tips in mind, you’ll be sure to find the perfect way to style your white shoes.
If you're having a hard time choosing which type of white shoes to style with your outfit, here are tips for styling white shoes for 5 different occasions will guide you to complete your look.
What do you think? Are white shoes versatile enough to be worn with any outfit? Or are they best reserved for specific occasions? Let us know in the comments below!